January 12th is the 5th anniversary of the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that destroyed much of Port au Prince, Haiti and surrounding areas. Hundreds of thousands of lives were lost, hundreds of thousands more were injured. The country was filled with fear of another quake, sleeping in tent cities far away from what little was left of buildings and homes. Thousands of schools were also destroyed or damaged on January 12th, five years ago, leaving many kids (the few fortunate enough to attend a school) without a building to call their own.
Randy and I have partnered with Hope Force International and created The School Sessions. On April 12, 2015 hundreds of photographers across the world are joining together to build ECCA School in Mellier, Haiti. We are raising $200,000 to buy land and build a ten-classroom concrete school to accommodate 220+ students. We launched our website today, in memory of the earthquake, and we can’t wait to see this school become a reality.
Watch our short promo video below!
To learn more about the project from Randy and I, watch the video below.
How Can You Help?
1. If you’re a photographer, we’d love for you to join us and sign up to donate a session on April 12, 2015. (Note, if you are unavailable that date you can still be involved! Photograph anytime in the month before + donate the fee.)
2. If you’re looking for photos, hire me and we’ll donate 100% of your session fee!
3. Spread the word. Photographer or not, we need photographers and donors. Anything you can do on social media or in-person to spread our story is much appreciated.
4. Donate! This is not a “photo session only” event. We’d love your donations! (Tax deductible if you’re a U.S. Citizen.)
5. SHOP. 100% of proceeds from our The School Sessions store are going towards the cause.