Last week, I posted on Facebook and Instagram, “Ask me anything! And I’ll answer it on my blog!” Well, I received 55 questions! And that has given me plenty of blog post material for the next little while. If you have a future Q for a Q+A, shoot me an email and I’ll see what I can do.
01. What’s your favorite part about yourself? (Physically and/or emotionally!)
This is a tough question to start it off! Sheesh! Hm. I don’t know if it’s my #1 favourite (that’s too much pressure) but I do like my eyes.
02. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’m at the stage of life where I start to answer these kinds of questions with, “Probably pregnant again! With a baby already!” I’ll be 29 years old, so I’ll probably be looking to cut down the amount of weddings I photograph every summer (if I am a mom by then!) – and focusing on writing, reading, business coaching, leading.
04. Favourite store. And favourite flower.
Favourite home decor store is 100% Anthropologie. I want to own all their kitchen stuff! I got three teacups and a butter dish for Christmas from Anthropologie and they make me happy every time I see them in the kitchen. My favourite flowers are tulips (because they are plentiful and cheap for 3 months a year! and so many colours!) and I also really enjoy peonies.
05. Do you feel like you’re giving up a huge part of yourself if you outsource post-processing?
I honestly don’t. I’ve been outsourcing to The Album Design since 2009 and I love the work they do for me. I edit my own engagement sessions, portrait sessions and any personal work but all of my weddings are out-sourced. It has given me so much freedom in my business and my summers!
06. What are your top 3 favorite photography accessories/tools? Could be anything.
1. PhotoMechanic, the software I use for culling my photos before they are imported into Lightroom and edited. It’s an uber-fast program that uses the jpeg previews stored in your RAW files, rather than rendering every image when you load them – like Lightroom.
2. My Shootsac camera bag. I know lots of other camera bags have come out in recent years, but I’ve been using ShootSac since 2008 and I honestly can’t imagine shooting with another bag. It fits the flow of my wedding days.
3. I sat thinking for quite a while about this one, but I guess I have to say Adobe Lightroom!
07. What has been the most helpful resource (blog or book) for understanding how to run a small business?
This is a great question! I don’t know if I have one book that encompasses it all, however I found “E-Myth Revisited’ by Michael Gerber very valuable.
08. Who are the most influential photographers/artists in your work?
I’m super inspired by Benj Haisch, Andria Lindquist, Kristen Morris, Lydia Jane, Michele M. Waite, Ash and Jeremy Parsons to name a few!
09. When do you decide where you’re going for a session and do you scout them beforehand?
No, I don’t! I show up 15-20 minutes early for a session and make a rough plan. I mentally make note of certain textures and backgrounds I’d like to use on the shoot and think of some poses beforehand, often! Then, while we shoot I’m really casual and find places as we go.
10. What’s your favorite place that you’ve visited?
Oh, gosh. Too many to name. I love Maui. I loved Edinburgh, Scotland. I loved the Almalfi Coast of Italy. I loved Sydney, Australia. I love Banff, Alberta, I adore Tofino/Ucluelet in BC, all of Vancouver Island is gorgeous, is this cheating? Oh, I love Montreal! And Prince Edward Island! And Boston! And NASHVILLE.